Saturday, May 4, 2013

Alabama Chanin workshop coming to Ann Arbor, MI!!

 Alabama Chanin is coming to Zing Train in Ann Arbor, MI, on May 31, 2013, to do a day long workshop.

I'm trying to write an article for my Detroit Sewing Examiner page, but I'm having trouble staying with the facts...  The more I read about the company the more interesting it is. Lean manufacturing, hand sewing, made in the USA, almost a zero waste company.  I want to say "I like", "I'm amazed", and I need to clean it up for over there!

I just bought the Alabama Stitch Book, and can't wait to read it.
I really want to go to the workshop, but I'm still working out the details.

 I wrote the company about the workshop and they sent me 17 pages of info! All about Alabama Chanin and their manufacturing policies, plus class info and what our choices are to make for the class.

When I first heard that *everything* was sewn by hand, I found it a little shocking, but they have created an amazing hand crafted industry with local stitchers and beautiful products. 

I think I'm done meandering all over the place and I can write an article now. ;)



2 comments:

Audrey said...

I hope you are able to go to the workshop. Natalie's class on Craftsy.com is as close as I will come to taking a workshop with her.
It was wonderfully inspiring, as is her blog on the company website

Diane Sladowski said...

Thanks Audrey! It looks as though I won't be able to make the class. I really, really, really want to go, but I just can't swing it this time. Thanks for letting me know about the Craftsy Class! I was a little turned off by a free class I looked at there that suggested I glue on a zipper before I sew it in *cringe*. You reminded me that there is more tho craftsy that I will find valuable. I definitely will be signing up for this class! I get a free one for being an Affiliate!