Monday, April 7, 2014

My inspiration for the 1/2 Scale Challenge

 I have entered the 1/2 scale challenge for the 2014 American Sewing Expo in Novi, Michigan.
All images from Alabama Chanin and Natalie Chanin books

I fought it. I really did. But the truth is I find Natalie Chanin very inspirational right now. I was machine sewing letters on T shirts in 2012 and she has catapulted me forward with her embroidery and strained my brain with the thought of hand sewing EVERYTHING. 

After listening to Joi's class that comes with this American Sewing Expo contest, I threw together this board. I even tried to sketch. I'm not yet convinced that I can learn to sketch, but it has helped a lot to arrange my thoughts. I usually just think about it and it morphs while I'm doing. Now its solidifying in a different way. I don't think I'll do the whole thing by hand, but I'm considering doing beading (yikes!). 

I will be using upcycled denim and T shirts. I took Natalie's Online Sewing Class and will be using what I have learned there and in her books

No comments: