Saturday, October 11, 2008

American Sewing Expo, Baby Lock Passion for Fashion 2008, Novi,MI

If you can't tell by my other posts(day 1,day 2,day 3), I really enjoyed taking part in the challenge. I was surrounded by wonderfully talented sewing enthusiasts/designers/patternmakers (one here and here)and my regret is that we didn't get to spend time together without competing.

The final garments:
Passion for Fashion 2008

Passion for Fashion 2008

Passion for Fashion 2008

Passion for Fashion 2008

Passion for Fashion 2008

Passion for Fashion 2008

At least 2 of the contestants were only 18, and I'm amazed at what they can do. I did not have the confidence or composure at that age to enter such a contest and succeed as they have done. Many more pictures here. Choose Passion for Fashion Show or PFF in Progress Galleries.

In one of the filming sessions I was asked if I would join the contest again, I amswered quickly, "no". I didn't have an answer when they asked why? At the time I was thinking, Now I know what its all about I don't have to do it again. I think now that perhaps I would do it again someday, but not for a couple of years, Maybe.

If you think you would like to try the contest, I'd send in a garment. On Sunday, we had the opportunity to take any classes, compliments of the American Sewing Expo and the Experience more than pays for the $25 entry fee!

My serger and entry garment and winning outfit came in the mail/AmEx on Thursday. All contestants also received a American Sewing Expo 2008 tote, Easy Zippers DVD, Rowenta Iron, and Kai Scissors (mine came in really handy during the contest!).

Pashion for Fashion American Sewing Expo 2008 Prizes

This serger is really cool! I have a lot of learning to do there. It can sew with 8 threads at once! I was really wanting a coverstitch machine and this has that and oh so much more. My "local" Babylock dealer is Sandy's Sew and Vac, they said I could come in and take as many classes as I needed to get comfortable with the machine. I'm sure I will need at least one. The folks there are very friendly and helpful, if you're in Michigan (Dearborn Heights (313) 292-2660, Lincoln Park (313) 388-7350, and Livonia (734) 266 2491, They do free estimates!)and looking to try out a Babylock I recommend going there even if its a bit of a drive.

1 comment:

christy said...

congratulations on your win! I found your blog doing a search for info on the Bernina 950 but stuck around to browse your other interesting topics.

I have an Evolve and you will LOVE it. I have never used all 8 threads at once, but it's a fun concept. I have two Baby Locks and they are the BEST brand of home serger, hands down. I've tried three other big names. Anyway, enjoy :D