90% Faster Than Rotary Cutters

Friday, July 5, 2024

Making Recycled Denim bags from Post consumer Jeans

I was lucky enough to get an order for 20 market bags. I decided to share the process as much as I can here and to practice making youtube process videos. 


These are the finished bags, my pattern is made from an old fashioned brown paper grocery sac.


A quick view on "Betty" to show the size.


I use box cutters and a variety of scissors to disassemble the jeans. There are numerous ways that this can be accomplished. This is how I decided to cut these apart.



The pockets, belt loops, and hems I sold in my Etsy shop. The inseams and waistbands I used for the straps on the finished Market bags.

This is a video I made earlier cutting the strips. I do use the same process on the market bags.


Then I sort the strips so my finished bags have lots of shades of denim.



Sewing my strips together.


Measuring and cutting the size I need.


Stitch the stack of cut pieces together.


Yardage reveal.


Bag assembly.


Finishing the Market Bag.


This is another example of how I cut the jeans apart to make something else.


I use die cutters in a lot of my denim recycling. This bag was made using strip cutters from here.



No comments: